While on Holiday in Galway I found the cutest little pack for making Easter Cupcakes, it consisted of 2 egg cartons, some mini cupcake cases and cute chick’s that go in the cupcakes. I decided to use them as gifts & make cupcakes rather than buying the usual eggs, a way to promote a healthier alternative I guess.
I always try use what I already have in my cupboards and then buy small extras if needed, as I already had mint oil and gluten free flour this gave me the idea of doing a chocolate cupcake with a mint butter icing. This was my first attempt at making cupcakes (even though I have always been a big fan) and I have to say I was quite surprised at how much sugar goes in to them but as its Easter i’ll keep going 🙂 🙂
Ingredients: (This is actually a recipe for regular cupcakes so just half for smaller ones)
- 250g Butter, At room temperature
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 250g Gluten-Free Self-Rasing Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
For the Icing:
- 200g Icing sugar
- 200g Butter, At room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint oil
- Chocolate shavings to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180-200C. Line the cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Place the butter and sugar into a bowl, Whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, Add a little flour after each one. When combined add the vanilla and the cocoa powder, stir until combined.
- Divide up into the cupcake cases, Bake for 20 minutes until golden and risen.
- When cool make the icing, place the butter/mint and the icing sugar into a bowl, mix together with the back of a spoon until soft and light.
- Place the icing into a piping bag and decorate the cupcakes. I also added some chocolate shavings to finish them off.
Happy Easter 🙂 🙂 xxx