With the cold weather creeping in, there comes the cravings for comfort foods! One of my favourite comfort foods growing up was my Mam’s Shepard Pie. I could almost smell it baking in the oven as I ran down the street after School, I couldn’t get home quick enough!
I became a vegetarian as a teenager, so Shepard’s pie was out for over 10 years, 10 whole years- Can you believe that?? It’s only in the last year that I have started to make different variations of the this nostalgic meal. The recipe I’m sharing today wasn’t planned out, it was more a “What do I have in the House??” job but it actually turned out delicious! Its a low cost meal and doesn’t require a huge amount of ingredients!
- 500g Turkey Mince
- 1 Large White Onion Diced
- 2 Large Carrots Grated
- Bunch of Kale Chopped
- 500ml Chicken Stock
- 4-5 Sweet Potatoes (Depending on size)
- 2 Tablespoons Kerrygold Butter
- 1-2 Cloves of Garlic Crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 180.
2. Peel, chop & boil the sweet potato.
3. While the sweet potato is boiling- In a large pan, seal the turkey mince, once its browned all over-transfer it to a bowl. In the same pan add the onion & garlic and cook until the onion is slightly translucent.
4. Add the turkey mince back to the pan with the onion/garlic and add the carrot & kale now. Season with salt & pepper and give it a good mix.
5. Transfer the turkey & veg mix to a baking dish in an even layer, pour over the chicken stock.
6. When the sweet potato is done(a fork can easily be pushed through them) drain water from potatoes, add the butter & mash until creamy
7. Smooth the potato evenly over the top and season with black pepper, place in the oven for about 30 mins.
This can be enjoyed immediately or saved for lunches throughout the week (that’s what I did )
A hug in a bowl 🙂