This recipe is more suited to the autumn season but as I had a tin of pumpkin puree left over from Halloween I decided to try this from the “Practical Paleo” book by Diane Sanfilippo. Its my favourite paleo book on the market, packed with information on healthy living, delicious recipes, and all the details you need on the Paleo diet.
grain-free • gluten-free • dairy-free • sugar-free • nut-free • nightshade-free
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tablespoons Butter or Coconut Oil melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Honey or Maple Syrup (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger
- pinch of Salt
1. Whisk the eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, and pure maple syrup together. Then mix in the the spices, and baking powder.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan over medium heat. Then, mix the butter into the batter.
3. Grease the frying pan with some butter/coconut oil and pour the batter in to make pancakes of your desired size ( I wouldn’t recommend making them too big, traditional American size are perfect as they’re easier to flip)
4. Serve with Bacon, maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
**In the book there is an alternative to maple syrup if doing a sugar detox, make the batter in a blender and use a banana instead of maple syrup.
The canned pumpkin is available in Fallon & Byrne, Dublin 2.