This an easy and quick recipe for some orange cakes, I like to say I’m a seasonal eater; in the winter it’s stews and soups, comforting foods and in the summer I eat lots of salads and zesty, fresh flavours. Orange is definitely up there for summer foods I enjoy and I usually have a lot hanging around the kitchen so this is a great recipe for using them up.
- 150g butter
- 50g coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g gluten free self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Zest of 1 large orange
- Juice of 1 orange
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, maple syrup and butter using a hand-held electric whisk.
3. Slowly beat in the eggs, and then add the vanilla, spices, zest, juice and finally the flour, a little at a time.
4. Fill paper cupcake cases halfway with the cake mixture, and place a slice of orange on top (optional).
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.