According to the supermarkets, it’s BBQ season, however Mother Nature is not getting the message – looking out the window at the grey clouds it feels like we’re stuck in Spring! But does the unpredictable weather stop us Irish doing all of the summery things we love? Definitely not! If you want to cook your dinner on the BBQ – do it, whatever the weather. If you want to swim in the ocean, dive in (at your own peril)!
I braved the sea on Friday along with friends and I must say it’s quite the experience, and once your body becomes numb from the ice cold water it’s actually not too bad -refreshing to say the least!
Are there any benefits from this? Why in God’s name would we do this to ourselves?! Well after the initial shock, the water is quite soothing on tired/strained muscles, plus I slept like a baby (I couldn’t keep my eyes open past 11pm), and my skin felt nourished and soft. My verdict on a sea swim: everyone must try it!!
This is the perfect meal for BBQ’s, and can be cooked in in a matter of minutes!
- 1 lb turkey mince
- Bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- Black pepper/sea salt
- 1-2 courgettes, grated
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3 tbs coconut/almond flour
2 min salsa
- 16 vine baby tomatoes, quartered
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Dash of extra virgin olive oil
1. In a bowl add ground turkey, coriander, spring onion, garlic and seasoning, and mix well with hands. Shape into equal sized patties and place in the fridge for 30 mins.
2. To make the bun: in a bowl add the courgette, and then mix in the egg and chosen flour a little at a time until well combined. There shouldn’t be too much egg left over as the courgette should soak it up. In a pan over a medium heat add 1 tsp coconut oil. Add a tablespoon of the bun mix to the pan, push down and cook evenly on both sides (it will spread out like a pancake). When the buns are golden brown, remove from the heat and transfer to a chopping board. Cut out a circle shape using a large glass/cookie cutter, and repeat until all of the mix is used up.
3. You can now cook the patties on a hot BBQ. Cook on both sides until fully cooked, making sure not to push down too much as this will dry them out.
4. To make the salsa, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
5. Serve the bun, patties, and salsa together. You can even add some guacamole as an accompaniment!