Fresh roasted beetroot is so different from the vacuum packed or jarred kind that you get in the Supermarket. So many people “think” they don’t like this delicious superfood because of experiences with the processed kind. If this is you, then you need this recipe in your life because it’s a game changer!! I know this because I was a beetroot hater until I tried some gorgeous roasted beetroot at a bbq and a love affair started that very same day!
I picked out a selection of beetroot in Fallon & Byrne in Dublin to create a pretty platter for my salad. This dish would make a great addition to any BBQ or dinner party, the colours are so striking that your guests will be fighting over it!
- 5 raw beetroots (choose a selection)
- 1/4 cup feta
- bunch fresh mint (finely chopped)
- bunch fresh flat leafed parsley (finely chopped)
- olive oil (for roasting)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Wash beetroot. Pat dry. Wrap in foil with a dash of olive oil and salt/pepper. Place on a baking tray. Roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- Cool for 15 minutes. wearing gloves, peel and discard skin from beetroot and cut into even slices.
- Spread the beetroot out anyway you like on a tray, in a bowl, on a plate etc and crumble the feta over.
- To make the dressing pour the extra virgin olive oil and balsamic into a jam jar with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, Put the lid on the jar and shake well- pour over the beetroot, finish off by sprinkling the fresh herbs over and serve.