I should really call this recipe “Breakfast Cake” because that’s what it tastes like! With the colder weather creeping in, it’s time to turn to warming and hearty breakfasts. I made this recipe at night so it was ready for the following morning. It’s a recipe you can include in your Sunday prep and will last for the week ahead (if cut into quarters!) The alternative is that you can eat it as a snack on the go, similar to a flapjack! You may also enjoy my Spiced Pumpkin & Fig Baked Oats.
Let’s get down to Business shall we?
– 1 1/2 cups of certified gluten free oats (or any oats)
– 1 cup almond milk
– 2 egg whites
– 1/4 coconut palm sugar (can be replaced with maple, honey etc)
– 1tsp pure vanilla extract
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp ground ginger
– 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
-1/2 tsp baking powder
– pinch of salt
– 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips
– 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
– 1 tsp lemon honey
1. Preheat oven to 180 and lightly grease your baking dish with butter or coconut oil. My tin is about 6 inches.
2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients. In a blender combine the wet ingredients- blend for 15 seconds until smooth. Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and stir until evenly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Pour mixture into prepared dish and smooth out with a spoon, bake for 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 mins and serve with the yogurt. It can even be cut up into slices/squares and stored in the fridge for breakfast on the go.
For vegans: Leave out eggs, add top with coconut cream as stated above.
For extra Protein: Add protein of your choice.
Tips: You can also add different nuts & seeds, dried fruit etc