The clean meal that feels like a treat meal, yes you found it! You’ll notice I never use the words “Cheat Meal” anymore. I’m not on a diet and even if I was, I shouldn’t feel guilty for “cheating” on said diet. Growing up the word “cheat” always meant bad, so why bring negatives emotions to food choices (there’s already enough stigma out there)just enjoy your food for gods sake! I now say “Treat Meals”, when you work hard you deserve to be treated! Be mindful about your choices but enjoy your life without guilty feelings!
There’s nothing fancy or expensive about this recipe and the macros are great too. Whip them up for lunch or dinner anytime you crave fast food! It’s also a great recipe if you’re bored of eating plain chicken fillets.
If you have time to spare you can soak the fillets in milk (and seasoning) as it softens the meat making it more juicy and tender. I didn’t this time as I was starving (story of my life lol) but it was still absolutely delicious!
You could really go fancy by filling the chicken fillet with garlic butter before coating for a healthy chicken kiev.
- 2- 4 chicken fillets
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1 cup of gluten-free oats
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 2 cups of milk (optional)
- 2 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano
- A mix of any herbs/spices (I used paprika, some chilli flakes, and dried basil)
- Set the oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare all your coating so add the eggs to a bowl, the arrowroot to another and keep another for the oat coating. Now you have a chicken breading station all set up.
- In a nutribullet/blender combine the oats,cheese and herbs/spices and pour into a bowl.
- Take the chicken fillets one by one and coat in the arrowroot, then eggs and finally the oat mix ensuring it’s evenly coated.
- Bake for 15/20 mins until golden and crispy.
- To make pesto dressing; in a jar combine 1-2 tbsp pesto with a dash of extra virgin olive oil, shake and pour.
Hope you enjoy, what’s your favourite “treat meal” let me know in the comments and I’ll try to make a healthier version of it!